Israeli military shells hospital
Tel Aviv (dpa) — The Israeli attack on the Nasser Hospital in the Gaza Strip aimed to destroy a surveillance camera installed by the Palestinian militant organization Hamas, a preliminary investigation by the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said on Tuesday.
The camera, they said, had been placed on the hospital grounds to monitor Israeli troops during their operations and ultimately to carry out terrorist activities against them, the military stated.
After the troops discovered the camera, they proceeded “to remove the threat by striking and dismantling the camera,” it was further reported.
According to Palestinian sources, 20 people were killed in the attack on the hospital on Monday in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip. Among the dead were also five journalists, some of whom worked for international media.
The reports indicated that paramedics also died in the attack on the hospital. The incident sparked widespread international outrage. Following the incident, the Israeli military announced a thorough investigation.
Eyewitnesses reported that there was initially an attack on the fourth floor of the hospital’s reception building, where the journalists were located. When paramedics and civil defence workers rushed to the rescue, there was another attack on the site.

Some questions remain open
The preliminary investigation did not reveal what ammunition was used in the attack. Initially, it was suspected to have been an airstrike. Media reported that it was likely tank attacks.
Israeli Chief of General Staff Eyal Zamir reportedly ordered further investigation into several unresolved issues, including the approval process for the attack and the ammunition used.
The military stated that Hamas had used Nasser Hospital for their terrorist activities throughout the Gaza war.
The investigation also found that six of the people killed in the attack were terrorists, one of whom was allegedly involved in the massacre on October 7, 2023. These claims could not be independently verified.
Chief of General Staff Zamir expressed regret over civilian casualties. The army, he said, directs its operations exclusively against military targets.
©2025 dpa GmbH. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
