world news online news
UK police said Wednesday they had charged a man after an egg was allegedly thrown at King Charles III during a walkabout. online news
Bedfordshire Police said a 28-year-old man had been charged with a public order offence.
Officers detained the man on Tuesday for allegedly throwing an egg at the new monarch in the town of Luton, north of London. He was released on bail and will appear in court on January 9.
Charles, 74, had been in Luton to meet community leaders and voluntary organisations, open a new Sikh temple and visit a new public transport system.
The incident came less than a month after eggs were thrown at Charles and his wife Queen Consort Camilla in York by a man heard shouting “this country was built on the blood of slaves” and “not my king”.
The suspect, a 23-year-old university student, was later released on bail.
Charles became king on the death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, in September. She was buried after a state funeral and 10 days of national mourning.
But there were some protests against the hereditary principle of monarchy under which Charles took over as head of state.
Buckingham Palace last week faced fresh allegations of racism, after a senior courtier quit for repeatedly asking a black British charity worker where she was “really” from.
© Agence France-Presse. All rights are reserved.